Junde YU, Vice President for Asia Pacific, game analytics measurement company App Annie delivered this presentation at the recently concluded Casual Connect Asia 2014, held in Singapore.
As the presentation was presented primarily in a series of data screenshots and brief commentary, I’ll add transitions so it won’t be as jarring.
Some info about App Annie:
- The company was started in Beijing, China.
- It’s headquarters are in Beijing and San Francisco
- The 4-year-old company is funded by investors like Sequoia Capital, IDC
- App annie apps are free.
- It tracks advertising data, tracking ad spend, without the use of a SDK
- It also tracks the various app store stats – top free, top paid,
It recently launched a new product focused on ASO – app store optimization – which lets you see the keywords apps are ranking for.
App annie intelligence covers the iOS and android markets worldwide
Of the top 10 countries:
- US, China drive 40% of iOS game downloads
- Russia is #3 by combined iOS and Android game downloads
- The number of Google Play downloads outnumber iOS downloads
- Markets like Brazil, Thailand and Turkey are driven by Android download
- Japan and South Korea drive 75% of Google Play revenue
- iOS is the revenue leader in most countries except South Korea, Japan, Taiwan and Germany
- In lower income countries, phone-related spend might be higher because it’s seen as a cheap source of entertainment
Top iOS store countries
- By downloads, the leaders are the US, China, Japan, UK, Russia, Canada.
- By revenue, the leaders are the US, Japan, China, UK, Australia
Top Google Play countries
- By downloads, the leaders are the US, Russia, Brazil, Mexico, South Korea and India
- By revenue, the leaders are Japan, the US, South Korea, Germany, the UK and Taiwan
Turkey, Mexico, Brazil and Thailand are the leading emerging markets for downloads
India doesn’t have a major PC gaming market, but mobile gaming opens up the market to all phone users.
Emerging market opportunities:
- Russia and Brazil are seeing good growth, with game traffic at a cheaper price there.
- China-based Tencent’s Gunz Dash generates about $1 million/month in revenue. A run-and-jump game, the userbase comprises mostly China traffic.
The top Google Play games in Mar 2014, by revenue comprised mostly Japanese and Korean games, with 1 standout being Brave Frontier by Gumi, which launched in multiple languages in multiple countries over a period of 3 months.
Also for the month of March 2014, the top Southeast Asian countries were:
- Malaysia is showing growth in revenue
- Thailand is registering growth in both downloads and revenue
The top game publishers in Southeast Asia include:
- Electronic Arts
Most of the top game developers are based in Thailand, with some coming from Singapore
The top game publishers by revenue include:
Line in contention to dominate SE Asia?
Line is prominent in the games market in Southeast Asia, especially Thailand
Its Facebook and WeChat games are expected to launch soon
The dominant mobile messaging platforms include:
- Thailand – Line
- Malaysia – First country outside China to have critical mass of WeChat users
- Singapore: WeChat is more popular than Line