Dan Matejsek (pronounced ma-tay-sek), also known as kickassmarketer, recently posted a 48-minute long video in AffPlaybook, which could shed a lot of insight for new and experienced mobile marketers.
As an experienced affiliate and now offer owner, Dan has generated revenue in the 8-figure range with Android apps.
While I am already familiar with several aspects of mobile marketing, Dan shared a number of points from his presentation which are new to me and key to making a mobile campaign with a higher chance of success.
- While affiliates are very focused on traffic costs and conversion ratios, the offer owners are looking at different metrics. An affiliate might look at click to conversions in order to work out break even and profit points. An advertiser will look at mobile app installs to paid upgrades/in-app purchases.
- Dan showed live stats of what an advertiser will be look at on the backend and how he evaluates lead quality and whether to allow an affiliate to continue running the campaign or pause him due to poorly converting traffic (from the advertiser’s perspective).
- Importantly, he shows you what he is looking for and drops several nuggets on how to optimize your campaign and work towards situations where your payout is 3x or even as high as 6x the offer’s street payout.
- Conversion tracking and traffic optimization is key: If you’re running your mobile campaigns as if you were on a web platform, you’d be using a brute force approach that is possibly leaving a lot of money on the table. Dan shows you how analysing the stats for carrier and handset, plus getting info from the advertiser can make a huge difference between something that is breaking even and something that generates profit on a consistent basis.
- In one case, an affiliate built a strong campaign on the back of a large pool of data collected. When he came back after taking a break of 3 months, he was able to resume the campaign and continue to see 6-figure a month revenue from the campaign. Which incidentally involved one offer from one network from one traffic source.
- “The mobile marketing mindset”: The biggest takeaway from the video is getting insight into how and what a mobile advertiser is looking for. If you’re taking notes from his session, you’ll know the right type of questions to ask when working with a traffic source and advertiser.
- While Dan doesn’t give away the complete system, he gives away enough that a relatively intelligent affiliate will be able to work out a few steps and start testing to find something that works. With a systematic approach to choosing and running offers to test, it’s a matter of working the numbers till you find something that works and sticks for you.
To access the recording, you need to be an AffPlaybook member, and if you’re following the strategies that Dan lays out, your membership will be paying for itself many times over.
If you’re already a member, you can search for the thread “Behind the scenes private tour of mobile advertiser portal tour” (Yes, the title is a little redundant, but the content is good).
If you’re not a member yet, you can access my Affplaybook discount code to get $10 off per month.
You can visit Dan’s blog at kickassmarketer.
Ok, what are you waiting for?