Take note if you’re blogging on the WordPress Platform, a cracker has introduced a security exploit into one of the WordPress 2.1.1 download servers at WordPress.org, which could potentially open security holes in your installation.
For the WordPress development team to label this as a “WordPress 2.1.1 Dangerous, Upgrade” hints at the severity of this.
WordPress upgrades can involve some pain, especially if your existing plugins may not be fully compatible with the new code.
- Backup your blog content (the most important step)
- Deactivate your plugins
- Do the installation
- Reactivate plugins
- Ensure that the blog is working as it should
- Do another data backup
Yes, some of the steps seems repetitive, but it could potentially take much longer recovering from a crash.
For more information, you can check out:
- Lorelle’s Emergency Update Notification for WordPress 2.1+
- Dougal Campbell’s Important: Upgrade to WordPress 2.1.2
- Donncha O Caoimh’s You didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t hear? Upgrade now!